Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Selfies While Driving Really Dumb


One of the newest words in the English language is 'selfie'. It's so new, most spell-checkers consider the word misspelled. Until recently, I had no clue what a selfie was. However, I have been witnessing them for years. So, in case you don't know. A selfie is a picture you take of yourself. Most of the time, these photos are taken with smart-phones like Android and iPhone. Like all new trends, there will be those folks who take a good thing to extremes and that is what has happened when it comes to selfies. While driving down a Texas highway the other day, I witnessed a young woman taking a selfie of herself driving down the road. It's common to see people doing stupid things while driving, but taking a picture of yourself is something I had never seen before. This woman or more appropriately I should call her a girl (looked to be a teenager) was just smiling away as she took selfies of herself as she passed me by. Frankly, I'm glad she passed me. It would have been pretty scary to look in the rear-view mirror and see someone taking a picture of themselves, instead of watching the road in front of them. Is it too much to ask for everyone to please stop taking selfies while driving a car? It's scary enough out on the road today, without some people taking pictures of themselves while driving a vehicle.

Waco Newsbeat Archive